Ace of Spades Wiki talk:Community portal
- 1 Wiki Discussion
- 1.1 Main page proposals
- 1.2 Poll Suggestions
- 1.3 Help and questions
- 1.4 Miscellaneous
- 2 April Fools
- 3 Soundtrack pages?
- 4 Reorganisation
Welcome! This page can be used to discuss the Ace of Spades wiki. Please make use of the sections below, and remember to sign and date your post by using four tildes (~~~~).
Main page proposals
Before making any large changes to the Wiki homepage, please propose them here first to gather feedback.
Suggest questions for the poll on the main page here.
-What is your favourite class for the Zombie game-mode?
- Nice idea Potato1811, I'll add this as the next poll. :) And don't forget to add your signature after comments on talk pages by using four tildes (~~~~)! -- Count (My talk page) 08:39, 1 December 2014 (MST)
Help and questions
Got any questions about the Wiki? Post them here.
For any discussions not covered by the other sections.
Additional Map Collection Maps
So I've started making pages for the Jagex Additional Map Collection maps (E.g. Lost World, Secret Base, Orc Fortress). Do we think they should go in the regular Maps section, since they're made by Jagex, or the Custom Maps section since they can only be downloaded through the steam workshop? -- Count (My talk page) 21:43, 9 February 2014 (MST)
- Maybe we should put them in a separate section, ex. "Unreleased Maps"? --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 10:57, 10 February 2014 (MST)
Looks like we've been getting an increase in the number of spam bots registering so I've changed up the captcha again. Should sort it out for a while at least. -- Count (My talk page) 11:03, 10 March 2014 (MDT)
Hey guys, I've just added the MsUpload extension. This allows you to upload files directly from the editor, and also upload multiple files at once, which should make dealing with images far easier. Hope you find it useful. -- Count (My talk page) 03:48, 20 May 2014 (MDT)
- I don't like the "Drop files here" bar in the wikitext editor, is there any way I can disable that appearing until I actually upload files? Also it doesn't seem like I can upload multiple images from the standard upload interface (although that's not a big deal, I was just pointing it out because the way your post was worded it seemed like that was the case). --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 10:03, 20 May 2014 (MDT)
- Thanks for the feedback. 'I don't like the "Drop files here" bar in the wikitext editor, is there any way I can disable that appearing until I actually upload files?' The idea is you can drag files onto the bar to upload them easily like this, http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/File:Msupload-600px.gif so it would be pointless if it only appeared when you were already uploading files. I've disabled it anyway so you can just use the arrow icon instead. 'Also it doesn't seem like I can upload multiple images from the standard upload interface (although that's not a big deal, I was just pointing it out because the way your post was worded it seemed like that was the case).' There is an extension that does this, but it's still in beta which is why I chose MsUpload. The files all get uploaded to the same place so it doesn't matter if you do it from the upload page or the editor. -- Count (My talk page) 14:36, 20 May 2014 (MDT)
- This is a bit of a late reply, but I do like the idea of the "Drop files here" bar, but the way it's placed in the wikitext editor just looks ugly and takes up too much space in my personal opinion. If I knew the element then maybe I could adjust it to my liking in my user CSS if that's possible. --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 11:28, 1 June 2014 (MDT)
- I completely agree. I can see how it could be useful, but the bar is distracting and gets in the way. You can also use the arrow icon to upload multiple files at once anyway, which seems about as easy as dragging and dropping them. I think I'll leave it disabled, unless anyone desperately wants it back? -- Count (My talk page) 12:18, 1 June 2014 (MDT)
You Have Been Pressed
I Press This'd the Ace of Spades Wiki. --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 12:52, 10 March 2014 (MDT)
I was thinking we kinda need to make more demonstration videos for the weapons and stuff. I've actually made a map for weapon demonstrations which works for TDM, ZOM, CTF + CCTF (although intels are way in the corner), and TC (although points are way in the corner), so we can demonstrate all of the class weapons.
- That picture reminds me of something. (Also, if you know what it's from you should totally use it for part of your video.) --Marisa Kirisame <3 (talk) 03:25, 10 June 2014 (MDT)
Updated to MediaWiki 1.23.0
Hey everyone, I've updated the site to MediaWiki 1.23.0, the latest version of the software (sorry for the time spent in read only mode while I did it!). This brings several new features and numerous tweaks and bugfixes including:
- Notifications enhancements - for new users, their user page and talk page, along with any pages they create, are added to their watchlist by default
- An improved Recent Changes page
- The ability to show only page creations in Special:Contributions
- A new Special:ListDuplicatedFiles page which shows duplicate files
- The ability to link to revision comparison pages E.g. Special:Diff/6581/6580
- Small tweaks to the Vector skin, E.g. the favourites icon now fits better with non white backgrounds like ours.
And loads more. You can find the full release notes here.
Probably the most obvious change is that the default font size is now slightly larger, making it more readable. Do you guys like this, or do you think we should change back to the smaller font? -- Count (My talk page) 09:02, 9 June 2014 (MDT)
- My opinion on the stuff:
- Notifications: When I heard about the notifications, I was kinda excited, because I thought it'd be some cool Echo style notification system. Looks like I was mistaken.
- Watch by default: I don't use the watchlist, so this would annoy me more than help me. I think I found a way to disable it, but now sure.
- Improved RC: The only change I can see is the legend.
- New S:C Feature: Don't care.
- S:LDF: Dunno what it does.
- Link revision comparison pages: Don't see any use for this, really.
- Small tweaks to the Vec. skin: Don't see anything new, apart from watchlist icon.
- Larger font size: Seems a bit unnecessary. On my iPhone, I'm sure it'll help, but on my laptop, text - especially level 1 headers - looks just a little too big now. It does seem to make the text look cleaner on my laptop though.
- Oh yeah these definitely aren't massive changes, just wanted to make you guys aware of them. The main reason I update is to get the security fixes, any new features are like bonus extras. ^^ I definitely see what you mean about the new text size - anyone else have any thoughts on whether we should change it back or not? -- Count (My talk page) 02:01, 10 June 2014 (MDT)
Hey guys, I've noticed the recent increase in spam posts so have changed up the questions we use in our QuestyCaptcha. Hopefully that decreases the amount of spam, otherwise I'll try a different system. If anyone's interested, here's the questions we currently use:
This is a Wiki for the game '_ce of Spades'. Please enter the missing letter.
This is a Wiki for the game 'Ace of Spa___'. Please enter the missing letters.
Which of these is not a weapon?: 'Shotgun', 'Orange', 'Rifle'
Which of these is not a weapon?: 'Grenade', 'Pistol', 'Hat'
- Hey guys, I've updated our captcha questions again. This should cut down on the recent spam we've been getting. -- Count (My talk page) 14:04, 7 February 2015 (MST)
Hey guys, we're now running MediaWiki 1.24.1. Apologies for the time spent in no edit mode while I made the upgrade. For a full list of changes check out this page. If anything appears to have broken please let me know and I'll get it sorted. -- Count (My talk page) 06:43, 13 January 2015 (MST)
Hi guys, I've added a mobile skin which makes viewing the site on a phone quite a bit nicer. It's pretty basic right now but I plan on improving it in the near future, especially the Featured Guides and Information which is a massive wall of text. About 20% of our visits are from mobile devices so I think it makes sense. If you're not a fan of the mobile design then you can change back to the desktop view at the bottom of the page. Cheers. -- Count (My talk page) 14:10, 28 July 2015 (MDT)
- Looks okay, visually. I like how it's actually styled (although I've only been on like one wiki other than Wikipedia which actually used the mobile theme). The layout I'm not a fan of, though, because it lacks several buttons: a button to view the talk page while viewing an article, the recent changes link in the hamburger menu, and generally isn't so great. But that's something that only the MediaWiki devs can solve, unless there's an extension that improves the mobile theme. --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 07:03, 11 August 2015 (MDT)
- Thanks for your thoughts, I agree. The lack of a recent changes link is what I miss myself. I've looked into it and it seems that adding things like that is pretty complicated, but it's something to think about long term. I think it's useful for the people who just want to browse the content on a mobile device, and not get or get involved. -- Count (My talk page) 07:24, 11 August 2015 (MDT)
Hi all. I am moving the wiki to a new host to improve speed and reliability. To prevent any loss of information during this time, the wiki will be going into read only mode whilst the move is carried out. -- Count (My talk page) 08:47, 23 March 2016 (MDT)
- All sorted. :)
- It was me. :) Would be pretty awesome if MediaWiki had a built in April Fools joke though. -- Count (My talk page) 22:27, 1 April 2014 (MDT)
I think it might be neat to make pages for the different tracks in the AoS soundtrack - the only problem is I'm not sure if they actually have names, although I still think it'll be neat. Whatcha think? --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 12:50, 14 May 2014 (MDT)
- Good idea. I think it would be best to have one page for all the soundtracks instead of individual pages. All the tracks do have names and are all made by 'The Naive Machine'. Maybe this link will help: http://thenaivemachine.bandcamp.com/album/ace-of-spades-game-soundtrack -- Travas2 (♠ Talk ♠) 13:14, 14 May 2014 (MDT)
I've recategorised the Map Editor tools from Weapons to Tools. Makes a bit more sense there due to the fact they can't actually kill. With the Drill Cannon, Block Cannon, and Constructs I added the tools cat rather than replacing the existing one. Block tool has also been relocated to that category as it technically isn't a weapon. --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 07:42, 27 July 2014 (MDT)