|Objective||Making maps to play in Custom Matches|
|Other notes||This is the only mode where there isn't any combat|
- 1 Setting Up the Map Editor
- 2 Baseplates
- 3 Mapping Controls
- 4 Mapping Tools and Inventory
- 5 Construct Library
- 6 Game Data Library
- 7 Additional Map Settings
- 8 Mapping Guide
- 9 Using Maps without Steam Workshop
- 10 Third Party Software
Setting Up the Map Editor
As of October 2nd, 2013, the Map Editor build (dubbed "Battle Builder") is in Open Beta and is an automatic update.
Loading up the Map Editor
To start working, click the new Map Creator button. You can then choose to create a map, publish a finished one, or subscribe to one on the Steam Workshop.
To load up the Map editor, we're going to need to create a new map. Click the Create Map button. You will be brought to a lobby browser, where you can browse Map Editor Lobbies. Click New Lobby to start on your own map!
Now, you can change the settings of the lobby to what you want.
- Privacy: The privacy of the lobby. Can be set to Open, Friends Only or Invite Only.
- Map: Here, you can chose to start off a baseplate or continue work on a saved map.
- Construct Set: These modify the available constructs in the Construct Library (more info on that later).
- Game Mode: The mode you will use to make the map. You can also change the game mode in-game.
Once you got the settings to your liking, you can click Start Game and hopefully get into a server. It will start off from the baseplate you chose (if you chose to use one) or a map you already saved.
Then, have fun making your map!
|Additional Map Settings||X|
|Hover with Jetpack||Z|
|Carve Construct Shape||C|
|Game Data Library||Period|
|Remove Game Data||Left Click|
|Change Size/Type of Game Data||Right Click|
|Select Colour from Pallet||Arrow Keys|
Mapping Tools and Inventory
The player has 5 tool slots and 5 construct slots in the Map Editor.
|Block Tool||1||Single block placement|
|Super Spade||2||LMB digs one block, RMB digs 18 blocks|
|Drill Cannon||3||Automatically digs a tunnel, RMB zooms for more accuracy|
|Block Cannon||4||Rapid construction, RMB zooms for more accuracy|
|Paintbrush||5||LMB paints a single block, RMB paints several blocks|
|Hover Jetpack||N/A||Jetpack which hovers with Z|
|Construct 1||6||Construct or Game Data|
|Construct 2||7||Construct or Game Data|
|Construct 3||8||Construct or Game Data|
|Construct 4||9||Construct or Game Data|
|Construct 5||0||Construct or Game Data|
The following items are found in the game files, but aren't seen in the game.
|ugc_pickaxe.png||Potential earlier version of the Super Spade|
|ugc_rpg2.png||Potential tool to rocket jump before realization that is was not needed with the Hover Jetpack|
The Construct Library is where you will find the Constructs in the Map Editor.
Constructs are divided into several sections:
- Landscape: Constructs to help shape your map's landscape
- Buildings and Walls: Mostly things you can walk inside and move around in
- Nature: Trees, shrubs, plants
- Props: Multiple things, often ornamental
- Signs and Banners: Flags, banners, billboards
- Road, Rail, Bridges: Roads, Rails and Bridges
Game Data Library
The Game Data Library is where you will find bases, spawn areas, crates and other game data.
- Bases:* Multi-Hill hill spawns, Territory Control territory spawns, Green and Blue bases, Occupation Bomb Spawn Points, etc.
- Spawns: Green Team and Blue Team Spawns
- Crate Drops: Health Crate, Block Crate, and Ammo Crate spawn points
Additional Map Settings
By pressing X, the player can bring up additional map settings. They are:
- Skydome: Change the sky of the map to any one of the existing map's
- Water Colour: Colour of the water (bottom of map)
- Game Mode: What game mode the map is made for.
- Set Preview Image: Set the image of the map which appears on the loading screen.
Supporting Multiple Game Modes
Your map can support multiple game modes. To do this, you can finish on one mode, then switch to another game mode, finish it for that one, and repeat. With this, you could make a map which supports Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Occupation, and VIP.
Setting Preview Image
To set the preview image, bring up the Additional Settings with X, and scroll down till you see "Set Preview Image", and click the "Set" button. You will then be allowed to set the map's preview image. The controls are as follows:
|Set View as Preview Image||Left Click|
|Set Preview Image to Overhead View||Right Click|
Using Maps without Steam Workshop
Third Party Software
There are various third party programs available that can be of use when creating Ace of Spades maps.
Blockman2D is a set of tools that can be used to create Ace of Spades maps. It includes a model editor, height map editor, map painter and map generator. More information...
Heightmap Generator by MarisaKirisame
MarisaKirisame has created a heightmap generator tool that can be used to create Ace of Spades maps from a heightmap and colourmap. This is useful for creating Classic style maps, or generating a land surface that further detail can be added to. More information...