Talk:Map of the Month
I'm going to be changing the template so instead of the stars they will be a pickaxe and etc. Also the page is based on the template of AOTM so i will be updating it more.--Links (talk) 03:30, 8 September 2013 (MDT)
| Winning Map: NOT AVAILABLE.
Vote for next month's map here.
Nice idea. :) As per AOTM, not sure about anyone else but I think it would be nice if people could vote on nominated articles, to make things a bit more democratic. -- Count (My talk page) 17:38, 8 September 2013 (MDT)
I disagree on a point.
"The map must be made from the official Ace of Spades Map Editor."
I feel this is a completely unnecessary restriction. Not only that, but the map editor doesn't even work correctly for me... nor does the rest of the game, but I'm looking into it.
There's an article describing the Map Format, which might be useful.
- Yeah, I agree the rule isn't a good one. It's pretty harsh to people who like to use external programs. --♠ TntMatthew (♣Talk Page♣) ♠-- 05:33, 13 September 2013 (MDT)
- Yeah I think that's best. There's been some really nice looking maps created using 3rd party programs such as Walmarto's Battleship. Perhaps there should be a rule stating that this is for 1.x maps? Or that maps have to be available in AoS's Steam Workshop to be eligible? -- Count (My talk page) 09:14, 16 September 2013 (MDT)
Getting this started
So, how do you guys think Map of the Month should be chosen?
Map is chosen by myself each month
- Easy to do
- Since it's not a popularity content, less well known maps could be featured
- Less community focus
- Could be claims of bias, favouritism etc.
Map is voted on using a poll like the ones on the main page
- Should get a good amount of votes since people don't have to register to vote
- Gets people involved
- People could vote multiple times
- No incentive for people to register on the Wiki to vite
Map is voted on by registered users posting on a talk page
- Encourages people to register on the Wiki
- Difficult for people to vote multiple times
- Gets people involved
- More time and effort to set up and administer.
- First off I'd just like to point out that the reason why there is no voting for the AOTM is because there isn't a ton of activity (as you can see by the submitted articles) so voting is extremely tough. I'd love if both the MOTM and the AOTM could be easily voted on, so a poll would be ideal. How and where would a poll be set up? These are just my opinions on the matter, I hope I helped a little. -- Travas2 (♠ Talk ♠) 08:45, 13 October 2013 (MDT)
- I think that's a totally fair point Travas. There's only a few articles nominated each month, and I have a feeling there would be even fewer votes if it required registering which is a shame. Polls can easily be set up using the poll extension,
<poll> Which of the nominated maps do you think should be Map of the Month? Map 1 Map 2 Map 3 </poll>
- This could be placed on the Map of the Month page after a few maps have been nominated.
- It's been up and running for a few weeks :p. Like it says in the process section, nominations are open until the 15th, so one more week. After this I'll put up the poll for people to vote on, with the winner being announced on December 1st. I mislabelled the nominations section as November rather than December which may be what caused the confusion, hopefully it's a bit clearer now. :) -- Count (My talk page) 16:57, 7 November 2013 (MST)
I'm thinking of adding a rule that states that Map of the Month winners can be nominated for Map of the Month again after a period of time (6 months maybe?). Otherwise we're going to start running out of maps. -- Count (My talk page) 09:14, 9 February 2014 (MST)
Hey guys, just letting you know that Map of the Month and 'Community Map of the Month' on the Ace of Spades homepage will be merging. Maps voted as Map of the Month will now be featured on both the Wiki homepage and the Ace of Spades community homepage. I will also be removing the requirement for maps to have an article on the Wiki to be nominated. This was initially done to encourage people to add their maps to the Wiki, but honestly it hasn't worked and we're running out of maps to nominate (in a few months every map on the Wiki will have won MOTM at some point). With the merger, this seems like a good time to breathe new life into Map of the Month and open up the competition to all maps created by the community. -- Count (My talk page) 18:20, 17 March 2014 (MDT)
Hey everyone, I've implemented the changes to MOTM that we discussed previously, hopefully we'll get more nominations and interest. I see July as a bit of a trial run, and we can definitely make more changes / tweaks if necessary depending on how things go. -- Count (My talk page) 12:14, 1 July 2014 (MDT)
"Any Ace of Spades map made during July can be nominated"
Do maps which were not made, but updated, in July count? Probably not, but just wanting to make sure. --♠ TntMatthew (♣T♣C♣) ♠-- 13:59, 26 July 2014 (MDT)
- Just maps made in July for now I think. Might change it to include maps that have been updated in the future if we still don't get many nominations though. -- Count (My talk page) 02:54, 28 July 2014 (MDT)